National Captain stresses on importance of Academics

NEW DELHI, June 20: Legendary Dutch Player Johan Cruyff stayed omnipresent during Indian National Team Captain Sunil Chhetri’s interaction with the kids at the Summer Camp being organised at the Ambedkar Stadium.

“Football is a game you play with your brain,” said Chhetri echoing Cruyff, the Man who has been associated with ‘Total Football’ and is one of the tallest figures of Football World. It all happened at the Summer Camp being conducted by Chhetri.

After another fun-filled training session which lasted two hours, the participants – all between the age group of 8-16 – were made aware of the importance of studies and the consequences one faces if Academics are neglected.

“Decision-making is the most important thing in Football. Now for good decision-making power you need to have a sharp brain. You can have that only when you are putting in that extra bit for your studies,” Chhetri interacted with the kids.

“You play Football as much as you want but not at the cost of studies. Always remember both are interlinked,” the Striker informed in an off-the field grooming session which stays a part of the six-day Programme.

Kids often complain of their parents overburdening them with studies and not allowing them to spend enough time on the field. When Chhetri picked up the issue, a lot of hands went up in agreement.

“The Academic Calendar stays very hectic. At your age, I also had the same grievances. But as I grew up I started realising that to be an all-rounder I have to concentrate on studies as well. To be a better footballer and most importantly a better human being, studies are very important,” he added. “You have to balance your Time Table to perfection if you want to be an all-rounder. If you do that, I am sure none of your parents will stop you from playing,” the Arjuna Awardee opined.

It was when one of the participants asked Chhetri’s marks in high school, that the twice AIFF Player-of-the-Year made light of the seemingly serious mood among the kids.

“I got 94 percent in High School. I am not saying this for the sake of it. If you are the best in everything your friends will be highly impressed! This is what drove me to aim high in studies, Football and all other activities too,” quipped Chhetri.

Dusk descended, the kids went back richer.

“I will go home as a changed individual. I have to be the best, not only in Football but also in studies, and extracurricular activities. Sunil Chhetri is my inspiration. I have grown up watching him. When you are taught by your idol, you are bound to follow each and everything he says,” 14-year old Abhishek Begal said at one go.

Standing by her son’s side, Abhishek’s mother smiled. “The best part about this Camp is its nature. My son’s sole aim is to become a footballer and it was literally difficult for me to make him study. Now with his idol telling him the relevance of studies and how Football and studies are to be interlinked, I can expect my boy to change. Overall grooming here is fantastic,” she commented.

You had to agree with her. After all, it’s a Camp ‘with a difference.’

You Might Also Like

0 comments